Learning Outside the Classroom
At Sherbrook Primary School the importance of a varied and relevant curriculum is recognised.
We believe that learning should be enjoyable and that children should be active in their learning.
As part of a broad and balanced curriculum, learning outside the classroom (LOtC) plays an important part in ensuring that learning experiences are varied and relevant.
LOtC at Sherbrook Primary School involves the use of the school and its grounds, as well as providing access to a variety of locations, venues and experiences through a range of educational visits and trips.
We believe that these experiences should be frequent and progressive, across all areas of the curriculum and that all children should have access to LOtC.
All pupils, irrespective of curriculum pathway, have the opportunity to experience LOtC.
- To enable all pupils to participate in LOtC activities both within school and in the wider community.
- To give all pupils the opportunity to take their learning outside.
- To develop an increasing ability to care for the natural environment.
- To improve observation skills and the ability to describe and make simple judgements.
- To develop the ability to work independently, and communicate with and respond positively towards others [working alone and with others].
- To promote an understanding of safe practice, and develop a sense of responsibility towards their own and others’ safety and well-being [applying safety principles].
LOTC Summer 2022